2 Mile Trail Run – Friday, August 25, 2017
2 MILE TRAIL RUN DESCRIPTION
The Underdown Trail Races are new, grassroots trail runs in Northern Wisconsin. It’s conveniently located only 6 miles off of Highway 51 and offers runners a wilderness experience on challenging trails. We look forward to seeing you this summer.
The 2 mile run is meant to be a fun and competitive way to get your running fix in on Friday night.
It’s cheap for a reason. It will be timed, but it’s a low key, no frills, race that is open to everyone, including new trail runners and those of you who are worried that you’ll be too slow. Come on out! Get a little sweat in and enjoy a quick run through the woods.
2 Mile Fees (Limited to 50 runners)
$5 (Plus Active.com Fee) – Kids under 16 are free
*Please note that there is a $10 daily camping fee
Refunds, Transfers & Switches:
Entry fees are not refundable under any circumstance, however may be partially credited to another one of our events. Please contact us about transfers.
We DO NOT keep a waiting list for those that did not get in prior to the race selling out.
WHAT DO YOU GET?
ENTRY GETS YOU
We strive to provide you with a fun and challenging event that gives you a valuable experience. As part of that experience, you will get the following with your entry:
- Timed race
- Marked course on trails through the woods
Friday, August 25th
4:00-6:30pm: Packet Pickup/Check In
7:00pm: 2 Mile Start
Times are subject to change
COURSE DETAILS & INFO
2 Mile Course:
- Elevation Gain: We will get the exact information when we can get out later this spring. This terrain is very much glacial, up and down, and not easy.
- Surface/Surroundings: Mostly forest singletrack with a few gravel road crossings. The ground there is a result of glacial deposits. You can expect rocks, roots, dry to loamy dirt and everything in between. You’re traversing all the ups and downs that the glaciers left behind. In sections you’ll be on hillsides and then you’ll drop down into areas that have marshes near the trail. You’ll see lakes, ponds, and A LOT of trees.
- Aid Stations: There is no aid station for the 2 mile run.
- Pacers & Crew: Pacers are not allowed. Any runner found running with a pacer who is not a registered runner (“a bandit”) will be disqualified. Your crew members may offer support but at the aid station locations only, no other spot on the course is acceptable.
- Info For Crews, Spectators and Family (runners please share this with your crews): It is critical that every runner’s crew or a spectator drives slowly and stays away from other runners near the aid stations. Vehicles near or at an aid stations can ruin the day for everyone.
- Headphones: We do not recommend the use of headphones. However, we won’t tell you can’t wear them. Full awareness of one’s surroundings, and the ability to communicate with other participants, race volunteers, and trail users not associated with the event are critical to everyone’s safety.
- Littering: Please don’t litter. If you are caught in the act of littering on course, you will be asked to leave and not invited back. If you see some trash someone else has dropped, please pick it up. There will be garbage bags at the aid stations.
- If You DNF: If you have to quit the race, please call or text 608-385-2706 with your name and number or alert the nearest aid station and they will alert that number. You are responsible to get yourself off course and back to home base. If you leave the course and fail to notify race officials, you are not welcome back to our races.
THE 2 MILE ROUTE DETAILS WILL BE COMING LATER THIS SPRING
UNDERDOWN RECREATION AREA PICTURES
These following pictures give you a good idea of what the trails and area of the Underdown Recreation Area are like. We’ll get more pictures of the trails and course this spring and summer and post them here.
Google Maps Link to Venue:
Distance to the Underdown Recreation Area from:
- Wausau, WI – 35 miles (about 45 minutes)
- Green Bay, WI – 125 miles (about 2 hours)
- Madison, WI – 175 miles (about 2 hours 45 minutes)
- Marquette, MI – 185 miles (about 3 hours 40 minutes)
- Duluth, MN – 205 miles (about 4 hours)
- Minneapolis, MN – 215 miles (about 3 hours 15 minutes)
- Milwaukee, WI – 215 miles (about 3 hours 20 minutes)
- Chicago, IL – 315 miles (about 5 hours)
- Des Moines, IA – 450 miles (about 6.5 hours)
- Sioux Falls, SD – 475 miles (about 7 hours)
- Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport – Your best bet for options and prices. 215 miles (about 3 hours 15 minutes)
- Austin Straubel International Airport – Good options and closer than Minneapolis. 125 miles (about 2 hours 5 minutes)
- Central Wisconsin Airport – Very convenient, but not cheapest options. 45 miles (about 50 minutes)
The average temperatures for the Underdown Recreation Area on August 25-27:
- Average high: 76
- Average low: 52
There is a lot of good tree cover, so you can expect to not be too exposed to the sun. That also means that when it’s humid, that there won’t be much breeze to break it up.
In the case of extreme weather, we will do what we can in the case of rain, storms, and other circumstances. However, please note that we have to abide by basic trail etiquette and the rules of the park. The last resort is to cancel the event. We will alter courses if necessary and try to do everything we can to hold the event in the case of inclement weather. In the case of cancellation, we will offer runners a discount for future events.
If you have any questions about the results, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Each finisher will receive a finisher award. Awards will be given for the following:
- 1st/2nd/3rd – (Age 29 & Under) Male and Female
- 1st/2nd/3rd – (Age 30 – 45) Male and Female
- 1st/2nd/3rd – (Age 46 – 59) Male and Female
- 1st/2nd/3rd – (Age 60 & Over) Male and Female
2017 Race Pictures
These will be posted after the event.
It’s important that you use common sense, follow the rules, and be nice to ensure everyone’s enjoyment, safety, and overall experience. If you break the rules or do any other shenanigans, we have the final decision in dq’ing you. If you see someone being “one of those people,” you can find someone involved with the race and we will handle. Thanks for being nice.
- BE NICE
- NO LITTERING. This applies to on course, in the parking lot, and everywhere. Please pick up any garbage you see, no matter how small it is.
- Runners must race under their own name/registration. Runners who bandit the race by running under someone else’s name and registration will not only be disqualified, but you will also never be allowed to race any of our races ever again. We’re serious.
- If you drop out of the race, you must notify a race official and/or timing.
- Racers cannot stash support including nutrition, equipment, or any other gear or items on course prior to the race. We are providing an aid station and 50k and 50 milers will get to have a 2 gallon drop bag. Half marathoners do not have drop bags.
- Headphones are allowed but we discourage the use of them. We won’t tell you not to wear them, but your full awareness of your surroundings and your ability to communicate with everyone is important for everyone’s safety.
- Strollers, dogs, bikes, and other non-running items are not allowed.
- Racers cannot receive outside support on course during the race, except at designated aid stations.
- Racers must let faster runners pass when it’s safe for them to do so.
- Pacers are not allowed.
- Racers must stay on course. Cutting the course is not permitted and really lame.
- Be nice.
***Registration and transaction fees are nonrefundable, including in the event of extreme weather or cancellation. Registration is not transferable to another person or another event for any reason, including injury. Competing under another person’s name will result in disqualification. In the event of poor conditions, we are held to park rules and will try our best to provide an alternate course and gathering if possible. If it’s not possible, the event will be cancelled.***
For emergencies: DIAL 911
401 West Mohawk Drive
Tomahawk, WI 54487
601 S Center Ave, Merrill, WI 54452
333 Pine Ridge Blvd, Wausau, WI 54401
Hotels: Merrill and Tomahawk have several options to choose from and are the closest. Wausau offers several as well.
Camping: Camping is available on site and it is first come, first serve basis. This is primitive camping. There is a pit toilet, no electric hookups, and no running water. It’s quiet and convenient and a good option. There is a daily camping fee.
The following are some links to give you information about the Underdown Recreation Area:
Lincoln County Website – http://www.co.lincoln.wi.us/services/u/?service=19fe1b63b3bb
Thunderdown in the Underdown Blog – http://thunderdown12.blogspot.com/ [This is kept up by Chris Schotz, who is responsible for the trails existing the way they do now. It’s an awesome resource and we all owe Chris a huge virtual round of applause]
LOST & FOUND
Any lost items found after the race will be donated. Please check before you leave the venue.
IF YOU DNF
If you need to stop the race for any reason, you need to notify timing. If you quit and leave the course without notifying the race, we will not let you attend again. We take the safety of everyone very seriously and don’t want to leave anyone out on course in bad shape.